Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Devin Setoguchi at Ontario Reign


         With the NHL lockout currently still in place, many of the league's best have decided to go overseas to continue playing hockey, however, the few that want to stay in the United States have found themselves signing contracts with minor league teams in the AHL and ECHL. That is exactly what Wild forward Devin Setoguchi did this weekend as he signed a contract with the Ontario Reign until the end of the lockout. Setoguchi was slated to make his first appearance with the Reign Wednesday night in Ontario and since I only live about 10 minutes away from the Reign's home facility, I knew I had to go. 
          
          My original plan going into the day was to go to the actual game with my brother-in-law who is a HUGE Minnesota Wild fan, but around 3:00 I figured that it would be best to save the $20 tickets and just try to get Seto post-game. I got to the facility around 9:20 and immediately found the player's parking lot. I was very surprised to see that it was an underground parking lot, but I guess when you have Justin Bieber, The Eagles, etc. performing shows there, it is a must. The bad thing about this was that I knew I would have no chance of getting Setoguchi's autograph, luckily the Reign were holding one of their Wednesday post-game player parties so I immediately headed to Bostons Pizza in hope the he would arrive.
          
          Instead of waisting my time sitting, wondering if Setoguchi was going to come, I decided to ask the first person who came in if he was expected to show up, sure enough the player said "yes". About 20 minutes later Setoguchi showed up in a group of 3 and he immediately started signing for me and two other local "graphers". I was able to get him on a puck (pictured above) and the 5 cards that I was able to get at Frank and Sons earlier in the day. He was very nice even kiddingly asking me "how much do you think these will go for?", sometimes I take offense to this, but I could tell Seto was joking so I didn't care.


          Overall it was another easy autograph, I was also able to get 4 Reign players on my team card but didn't bother taking a picture of it since it really isn't worth while. For those of you wondering, Setoguchi is expected to play on the Reign until the end of the NHL lockout and the next Reign home game is Wednesday, November 14 against the San Francisco Bulls. Once again thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment