Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Personal Autograph


          For those of you who know me or have talked to me, you may have overheard that my P.E. teacher was Gregg Martin, a pitcher in the Toronto Blue Jays system. Gregg, or should I say Mr. Martin, was drafted by the Blue Jays in the 21st round of the 1989 MLB Amateur Draft and played a combined four years in the Blue Jays system before he blew out his arm and retired. Mr. Martin has played with some notable major leaguers over his career, including Al Lieter, Carlos Delgado and Jeff Kent. He had a combined record of 11-9 with a 2.55 ERA in 176.1 innings pitched. As you could imagine he has some pretty cool baseball stories as well.

          Even though he never reached the major league level, he still has had some cards made of him that can be found on card websites such as eBay or Checkoutmycards.com. Ever since I saw his cards online I have wanted to get some and get him to sign them. Luckily I came across some cheap ones and brought them after school to get them signed. You could tell that Mr. Martin was impressed, I'm sure it's not every day that people ask him to sign autographs, and especially not on three cards, so he took his time signing them and even brought me into a different room where there was a table so that they would come out better. The three cards came out great and even though he never reached the majors, the personal connection I have with him makes them just as special as any other card I have gotten signed.

4 comments:

  1. That's very cool! He put up some pretty good numbers. His arm must've been in real bad shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh. He reached AA but that was the highest. He told me that he felt like there wasn't a point of going on and risking a permanent injury. I'm sure Tommy John surgery wasn't nearly as routine of a procedure back in 1992 as it it today!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Roberto! Honored to have a blogging "legend" like yourself on my site!

      Delete