Saturday, December 22, 2012

Landreaux, Leary at Del Amo Fashion Center


          They say all good things must eventually come to an end. That was the case Saturday afternoon as the dodgers hosted their sixth and final Holiday Mall Tour event. This was the fourth mall tour that I have attended, and the second at the Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance. Former Dodgers Kenny Landreaux and Tim Leary were scheduled to attend and sign autographs for fans. Both Landreux and Leary had already made appearances at the mall tours, so it was sort of a disappointment for some of the local graphers that had already gotten the pair. Luckily for me I had missed out on both players and even though getting their autographs wasn't a priority for me, it still made me happy to see that I could get a second chance at both guys.

          I arrived at the signing around 11:30 and quickly met up with my friends Scotty and Tyler who were first in line. I noticed that there were only about 15 people in line, which didn't surprise me since most people have probably already gotten Landreaux and Leary at one of the other mall tours. Soon after that my friend David and his brother Josh arrived, as always talking to my wonderful graphing friends made time go by very fast. About 30 minutes before the signing Scotty calls me and tells me that he saw Landreaux walk into the Wetzle's Pretzels. Me, Tyler and David decided to go and just see if we could get him. Unfortunately Landreaux came out and said he would get us when he signs, which wasn't a big deal to me. He started signing right on time and Tyler and I went up to him first with our page full of cards. He said to us that he'd only do two but that if we want more we would have to get back in line. This made me very relieved since my intentions were to get back in line anyways and it assured me that he didn't mind us doing so. So he signed two cards each and sure enough, we got back in line.

          Even by the time Landreaux started signing the line was very short, to top things off he was blowing through the line so it made it very easy for the whole gang to get back in line again, and again, and again. I was eventually able to get all nine of my cards done and got back in line for a final time to get a baseball signed. When I got up to Kenny I kindly asked him if he would put "81 World Series Champs" on it. Most of the time players have no problem doing so and on a few occasions, I have heard of older players actually enjoying putting stuff like their World Series year. But obviously Kenny isn't one of them. When I asked he just shook his head "no" and then told me as he handed back to me that, "You need to go to a show to get that done." I told him that I understood and moved on.


          After walking around the mall a little, we went back and met up with David who was holding our spot at the Leary line. Tim arrived right on time as well and began signing right away. He wasn't very talkative but was signing everything that you had and immediately knocked all of my ten cards out on the first round. I decided to go back and get a ball done. I knew for a fact that Leary would inscribe so I asked him to put "88 World Series Champs" on it. Leary was kind enough to inscribe it but put the inscription in a weird place. He put it below the sweetspot, which I have seen people do, but kept writing down the baseball using a different line for every single word. It ended up taking up all of the side panel almost. I guess I can't complain. The ball still came out nice, I was just a little surprised by where the inscription was put since I haven't seen anyone do it before. You'll see what I mean on my picture below.


          I ended up leaving the mall with everything that I had brought signed, which is impressive considering that there were only two people signing. I'm very sad to see all the mall tour events come to an end. It was a great way to add onto my baseball collection during what is typically a mediocre time for baseball graphing. I would like to thank everyone that I have met during the four mall tours that I have attended and I hope that I will see you all again very soon. I would also like to thank Kenny Landreaux and Tim Leary for being very kind and signing autographs today. A big shout out to Scotty, Tyler, Larry, David and his brother Josh who I saw at the signing today. Thanks for reading and everyone have a safe and wonderful Christmas!

10 comments:

  1. It was nice of the Dodgers to have this mall tour. Like you said, it's a slow time for baseball graphing, and for those of us who only graph baseball, it was very nice. I wish the Angels would have done something like this as well.

    I like the way the ROMLBs turned out. I never considered getting either Landreaux or Leary on a ball, but I think I may do that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice to see them do the mall tour. The main point of it was to sell mini plans and tickets. I don't think the Angels are as "desperate" to sell tickets as the Dodgers so they probably didn't feel obligated to do something like it. You have to remember that the Angels have had 3 million fans for 11 straight years and have had a higher attendance than the Dodgers for five years so obviously selling tickets aren't one of their disadvantages. Plus Dodger Stadium holds like 12,000 more than Angel Stadium so they pry need to sell more tickets to fill up the place. That's my reasoning.

      Delete
  2. that was cold of landreaux to turn you down. i had no issues when i ask him during la fiesta granda last year, but then again i didn't throw 9 cards for him to sign

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured it had something to do with the cards. One of my friends had a jersey with a bunch of 1981 guys and all of them inscribed "81 W.S. Champs" so obviously he asked Landreaux to do the same, he was hesitant at first to put the inscription but he kind of looked at the jersey and eventually did it, so I'm wondering if Hall of Fame Sports or Honabach and Sons might have signed him to a contract as an exclusive.

      Delete
    2. your blog name should be Little Dan Haren Autograph Corner

      Delete
  3. Good point Phil. Surprised you had both Leary and Landreaux sign baseballs since both players are not ball worthy in my opinion unless you collect Dodgers on baseballs like some guys do. It sucked that Landreaux big leagued you like that by not inscribing. It's not like he is a major star. But then again you did drop like 10 cards on him. Still a nice haul though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. In my opinion Landreaux is ball worthy in some ways. He was a World Series Champ and played a big role in the 81' year. It will look nice with my many other 1981 World Series Champions' baseball I have gotten signed before! Leary, looking back, pry wasn't a great idea! Haha. But the ball still came out good and it may end up being a possible trade piece to Dodgers collectors if I ever get tired of it or start regreting it too much. Let me know if you need a Leary, okay David!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Happy Holidays nice post. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and I would be happy to give you our link.

    Thanks!

    Frank
    frank641w@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't consider him Ball worthy at all. Plus him being not nice is a con in my opinion. I also thought that Sweet Lou Johnson wasn't ball worthy - but after all the stats and how nice he is I decided to get him on one and he couldn't have been a better guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could make the arguement that Landreux is ball worthy. I mean he was a World Series Champion and an All Star so I don't think getting him on a ball is far-fetched. As for the kindness part, I do that a lot too, get guys who are not usually "ball worthy" on one because they are so nice.

      Delete