Saturday, January 26, 2013

Antawn Jamison Signing at Walmart West Covina


          After a failure at Super Fest, I was hoping to rebound at the Antawn Jamison signing in West Covina. I heard about the signing last minute, in fact less than 24 hours earlier, but luckily I had a few Jamison cards already in my collection and I had them set aside since he is on the Lakers. The signing was scheduled to start at three and I was able to leave San Diego early enough to make it to the signing 45 minutes before it's start time. I went upstairs and found the line, which had about 30 fans in it already. I expected the event to be low key, in fact I was expecting only about 30 people total due to most people being at the Dodgers Fan Fest, however I guess most people left Fan Fest early because by the time three came around there were about 100 people. 

          Jamison arrived about twenty minutes late due to "traffic" but started signing right away. I finally got to the front of the line around 3:50 and Jamison was as nice as ever. He was very friendly and when he asked if I had a relaxing Saturday, I honesty said, "Enjoyable, but Not relaxing.". I told him that we drove from San Diego to the signing and he chuckled and said that at least we had a nice little scenery. Antawn was nice enough to sign three cards for me, a card for my dad, and took a photo with me as well (as seen above).


          Overall it was a nice, relaxing signing. I was glad to get the autograph, but I think I am more glad now that I am home. Driving all the way down to San Diego and back up to West Covina can take a lot out of you, and it makes it a tougher drive when you miss out on the one main guy you wanted. On top of that I was battling the flu this week, so I was tired from that as well. I'm not sure whether I will sleep in tomorrow, or decide to graph some more, but I will let that play itself out. I would like to thank Antawn Jamison for signing as well as the Walmart West Covina staff for putting on the event. I would also like to thank Nick Hundley, Fernando Cortez and all the other athletes that showed up for the Super Fest event. It would of been a really fun event had I not been there strictly for autographs. As for Dodgers Fan Fest, well, you can read about on David's blog. He, as well as many of the other graphers, absolutely scored and furthermore proved my decision to be a bad one. Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

15 comments:

  1. The Jamison signing was amazing. I love it when it is low key and easy. I wish all signings were like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the signing was real relaxed and Antawn was cool. Glad you were able to rack at DodgerFest. Looking forward to seeing the recap.

      Delete
  2. how do you guys hear about these. I would be here. HELP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just gotta be an internet hound and slowly work your way into the community. Facebook and Twitter are always great places to look for these signings, and you have to develop friendships with the graphers who get the inside scoop.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I agree Steve, Morse Code LOL. People need to pay their dues. I hate it when people ask for handouts.

      Delete
  4. Jeremy these fools won't tell you anything. They act like its a freaking top secret government project. Its like some kind of pay back for being picked on in school sine the vast majority of them are complete dweebs. Its like the means girls clique and its an exclusive club. The main reason is because they feel the less people that know about the event and therefore attend it, equals more opps for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are 100% wrong and I do not appreciate you saying stuff like that on my blog. I try and help people out the best I can, if fact I even emailed Jeremy with a few tips for a new comer. I am not, however, going to screw myself over by going around and telling people about how autographs are here or there, that's how this hobby has gotten ruined in the first place, ask, and I will give you information just like all of the other graphers in So-Cal will do. Most of us, by the way, are not dweebs, just mere fans who enjoy the hobby of meeting our heros in person and up close.

      Delete
  5. not trying to be that guy. just trying to have fun and enjoy a hobby you guys share with me. Not much for social networking, which will probably be my down fall. Not looking for a "handout." Just trying to be apart of something that you guys know a lot more than me. Just wanted some help. Have taken every advice given and just having trouble. Just wanna have fun guys. No harm no Foul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy, do not listen to a word Klong said, that guy is not correct. I emailed you some good websites and I hope those helped. Honestly I find out about these events through friends and the internet. I know what it's like to be a new comer, just a year ago I was one myself. I can't give much more advice then just continue looking at the websites and don't give up. Have fun and remember, it's just a hobby!

      Delete
    2. haven't received your email matt
      wjeremy777@yahoo.com

      Delete
    3. My appoligies, I meant that I messaged you last week with some websites to check for future events. I believe that you responded.

      Delete
  6. hi matt, i have the same question as jeremy. ive been colecting autographs for about a year. but i all ways miss the sigings so i was hoping you could help like what you did with jereny. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. IM GOING TO SPRING TRAINING. figured this was my best bet guys. very excited. Time to rack up. I also racked up too with the ducks. nailed them all at the fan fest. Very cool. ill setup a blog and post pictures. On my way boys.:)

    ReplyDelete