Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mike Brown at Mater Dei High School


          On Friday evening I decided to head out to Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana for one of their men's basketball games. My main goal of the trip was to get former outfielder Darryl Strawberry. Darryl's son plays on the basketball team at Mater Dei and apparently he attended quite a few of his son's games last season. However I was bummed to hear from security and employees that Darryl doesn't attend many, if any, of the games anymore since he now lives on the east coast. I didn't get completely shut out though. I was able to get former Lakers and Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, who was on hand to watch his son play as well. Since I didn't come prepared with any stuff for Coach Brown, I just had him sign one of my ROMLB that I had on me. I asked coach if he would put "08-09 Coach of the Year", but he told me that he didn't like putting that kind of stuff. I really couldn't complain, Coach Brown was extremely nice and even was nice when he denied me. Also it ensured that I wouldn't get shut out, so overall I was pleased that the trip down to Santa Ana and my Friday night wasn't entirely wasted. On a side note the Mater Dei basketball team is very good and the school has a beautiful arena. The game went into double overtime and to be honest, I had a great time watching the game despite my lack of knowledge about the team or it's opponent. I really recommend going to one of their games, especially if you live down by the school. I would like to give a shout out to my friends Jose, Moe, Tyler and Scotty who were all on hand trying to get Darryl as well. Thanks for reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment