Saturday, January 5, 2013

Skip Schumaker at The Refinery Training Facility


          Dodgers second baseman and two time World Series Champion Skip Schumaker made an appearance at the new Refinery Training Facility in Torrance. The appearance was part of the facility's grand opening celebration which was listed on the flyer as being between noon and four. However there was no confirmation on when Skip would be there or if he would be signing autographs. I decided to leave around 11:30, thinking I would get to the facility around one, unfortunately my plan got a bit delayed. After a quick stop at Frank and Sons and battling with Los Angeles traffic, I found myself running way late and began to panic that I would be too late. For all I knew Skip could of showed up at 12 and left at one.

          Around 1:40 I got a call from my friend Tyler saying that Skip would be there until two and that he was signing autographs. This was both good and bad, good in that he was signing and was still there, bad because I needed to get eight miles in under twenty minutes. Luckily traffic wasn't terrible from that point on and we got to the facility around 1:55. As I was rushing to the entrance I noticed a few people walking out with Schumaker signed baseballs, I asked them if he was still inside and they said yes but only for a few more minutes. Luckily, right as I got inside, I noticed Skip waiting a table with an empty line. I was trying to get my cards out quickly and Skip began to pick up his water and was about to leave, I got my cards and said "Skip, could you sign one more?" Luckily he heard me and turned around. He took my book which had eight cards on it, we both got a good laugh in as when he saw all the cards, he said, "Oh my goodness!". You could tell he was surprised by all the cards. He kindly signed all eight of my cards and I asked him if he could do a ball for me too. He obliged and even waited for me to get the ball out of my backpack and unwrap it. Skip was as nice as could be and even inscribed "2011 WS Champs" on my baseball. He was very talkative as well asking where I came from and more. I also liked his advice that he told a women. She asked him what she should do because her son is a really good baseball player but doesn't want to play anymore, Skip told her that she shouldn't push him because the more you get pushed, the less you enjoy and the less you want to play. That is advice a lot of parents should take to heart.


          In retrospect I wish I wasn't as rushed and had more time to talk to Skip, he was always one of my favorite Cardinals and I have rooted for him since he was a rookie back in 2006. But I just barely did get the autograph and that is what matters the most. I wasn't able to take any photographs of the place or of Skip because it was really an in-and-out experience, no time to think or really pause and relax. I would like to thanks Roberto from Vin Scully Is My Homeboy for the info on the event as well as Skip Schumaker for being so nice and signing. Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. That's great you made it in time before he left. Skip was a great person to meet in person. Plus he put his world series yr championship on the ball. It didn't cross my mind to ask him. Oh well getting his autograph is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Being a fairly big Cardinals fan the first thing that came to my mind was, "Oh wait, he won the World Series with us last year!" so it was only an instinct for me!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Roberto! I saw your post too, always nice to get a new Dodgers so quickly. I guess you can scratch him off the list! :)

      Delete
  3. Man..bummed i missed out! My goal is to meet him this season (which im sure will happen at some point). He went to my high school and was a hitting machine! His records are still unbeatable at school and his jersey number is retired and hung up in our baseball stadium. Very cool that you got to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I knew he was local but didn't know exactly where he went. He was a very nice guy so you'll pry be able to talk to him about it for a minute or two. Not one of those players that just wanted to sign the autograph and move onto the next person.

      Delete
  4. I hope to get his auto at spring training. I forgot about this event otherwise I would have gone. By the way, where can I find a binder like the one pictured? I checked the card supply booth at frank and sons and they'd never seen it before. I haven't checked any card shops yet. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You actually can't buy the book as it is. You have to put it together by hand so none of the card shops or Frank and Sons will sell them. If you want to put one together then go to Michael's Craft Store and pick up a solid, hard back sketch paper book with rings, they typically cost $25 but you can get a 40% off coupon on their website 90% of the year. Then go and buy some back (or clear) photo corners. These usually cost about $5 for 250. Buy two boxes then go home an place them on the books paper to where a card can go in and out of them without falling out, I would actually get a few cards and use them as a decoy so you know where exactly to put the corners. It is about a two hour project but will last a long time as long as you take good care of it. I have had my one book for over a year now and it is just now starting to show some wear around the rings. Hope that helped!

      Delete