Monday, February 18, 2013

Hockey Graphing at the Honda Center


          I decided to wake up early Monday morning and head out to the Honda Center for some hockey graphing. Since Monday was President's Day, myself and many other children throughout the country had the day off, and I figured that it would be a perfect opportunity to not only reunite with some of the Ducks, who just came back from a two week long road trip, but also graph the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets.

          The morning got off to a good start. Future Hall of Fame inductee Teemu Selanne came over and signed some autographs after dropping off his car to get washed in the back of the arena. The Ducks will bring out five or six men to wash the players cars about every other week. While it is nice for the players, it is not as nice for us graphers as some of the players enter through the front while others go in the back where the men were washing their cars. Luckily we spotted Teemu's car from the front and hustled to the back, where Teemu was kind enough to sign as always.


          Teemu actually only signed two cards coming in, but signed the other two on the bottom row when he left practice. He is always a class act and never minds if you go up to him and ask him for another autograph. A few players walked in that I didn't have any cards for. My Ducks collection was actually running low since I got a majority of my cards signed the last time I went to the Honda Center. I even "borrowed" a few cards from my brother-in-law to help restock my book. I ended up having to wait until the end of practice to get some more autographs, but it was well worth it as former NHL MVP Corey Perry came out the back and picked up his freshly cleaned Mercedes.


          Perry is probably the biggest "jerk" on the team, yet he is still my favorite player. I put the term jerk in quotation marks because the word doesn't describe him well. It's not that he doesn't sign, it's just that he is very shy and will not interact with fans at all, instead just scribbling "CP10" on their items, but hey, at least he signs.

          I was then able to catch Ducks' third string goaltender Jeff Deslauires (Pardon me if I spelt that wrong). Jeff has been bouncing up and down between the NHL and the AHL, so it was nice to finally get his autograph on the three cards that I had from his days with the Edmonton Oilers.

         
          Ducks prospect Peter Holland then came out soon after. Peter is another guy that has bounced back and forth between the Ducks and their farm system, so like Deslauires, I was glad to get Peter on my cards. He was kind enough to sign both of my cards.


          The last pair of people to come out were Andrew Cogliano and Ben Lovejoy. Both Cogliano and Lovejoy signed a card each for me. I asked Lovejoy if he was enjoying California so far (this was his first game in Anaheim since being traded from the Penguins), he replied with, "Yeah, so far!". Let's hope he continues to enjoy California and helps lead the Ducks to another cup!



           That was it for the Ducks. I went over to the other side of the arena to try and get some of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Unfortunately, the bus that was taking the Blue Jackets drove down the tunnel, and none of the players were kind enough to come to the top and sign for us, so that was that. I thought about trying the team hotel, since I came prepared with a lot of cards, but thought better of it after about five minutes. Overall it wasn't a bad way to spend my day off. It is really a short week for me considering I am leaving Wednesday after school for my first trip to Spring Training. I will keep you all updated on how I do in Arizona! Thanks for reading and enjoy your week!

7 comments:

  1. Man reading that makes me want to try graphing the ducks but I'd probably be bad at that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me Ryan, you won't be bad at it. The players literally walk right by you with no security, barricades, or anything to stop the players and fans from interacting. It's a great experience and I recommend you trying it.

      Delete
  2. great job, i was woundering if could sell me a addison reed sigined card because i waslooking at your old post and you said he signed 40 cards for you. If not its okay. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you in the So-Cal area? If so I can meet you up at a signing and give one to you. If not then I don't think the time it takes to mail the card and all would be worth it for just one card. If so, email me at MatthewCourville24@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Hi I stumbled across your blog when trying to see if the Ducks still did autographs after morning skate. Do you per chance know if they do morning skate/autographs on Sunday games. Way back in the 90s they didn't because games are so early but don't know if that changed. THanks in advance for any help. Jen D @imjustjen1974@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for checking out the blog! The Ducks typically hold their Sunday games at 5:00, but I've honestly never graphed on a Sunday so I can't tell you fore sure whether they do or not. My guess would be that they do, but that it ends earlier than normal practices. For the best bet, get there in the morning and if you see a bunch of graphers, you'll immediately know that they are practicing!

      Delete
  4. Hey Matt!

    Great blog! I'm looking at trying my hand at getting stuff signed in Anaheim on a trip in the future, and was curious if you could send me some information regarding where and when (for both home and away teams) would be the best time to get them.

    Thanks!

    ps - perhaps I could just email you?

    ReplyDelete