Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Tribute to Stan Musial and Earl Weaver


          On January 19, 2013, baseball lost a pair of hero's. Hall of Famer's Stan "The Man" Musial and Earl Weaver both passed away within 24 hours of each other, leaving fans and players alike mourning over their passings. I know I'm a tad bit late (actually quite a bit late), but I haven't really had the time to sit down and do a tribute post like this until now. 

          While I never had the chance of meeting Stan "The Man", I do have a piece of memorabilia that I hold very near and dear to my heart, an original 1960 Topps card.

 
          As you can see the card is in pretty bad condition. It has a couple of tears, some bent corners, and a slight crease, but the fact is this is an original Stan Musial card, and a piece that no matter how beat up it is, I will always love and cherish. I'm very jealous of all of you lucky people who have had the honor of meeting Stan, I have heard that he was a great man and I would give anything to have had the opportunity to meet him and just hear one of his amazing stories. However, that dream is not going to come true, yet, but I will always have a piece of Stan in my collection.

          Unlike Stan Musial, I was fortunate enough to meet Earl Weaver in 2011 at the All Star Fan Fest in Phoenix, Arizona. Weaver was very nice and I was thrilled to meet him. I could tell right away that his days were numbered. Weaver was very frail looking and didn't seem to be in the greatest of conditions, so I was thrilled to be able to get his autograph and to always have a piece of him in my collection as well. Mr. Weaver was kind enough to sign my ROMLB across the sweetspot as well as an 8x10 photo back at Fan Fest.


          The passing of Musial and Weaver was heartbreaking to the baseball family, and I would like to send my personal condolences to both men's families, you will both be missed. Rest in peace Stan and Earl, and hopefully I will be able to see all of you guys again a ways down the road. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment