Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Local Star


          As many of you know, each year the United States brings together some of the best High School and Collegiate baseball players together for a global competition, much like the World Baseball Classic except with no major leaguers or legends. One on the players of the 18U National Team last year was Ryan Olson, who attends Upland Western Christian High School. For those of you that don't know, I live just a short two miles from the school, and I new that it was a must to get the senior on his 2012 Team USA card issued by Pannini. I finally found a game that fit my schedule and headed down to the park where they were playing at. At first I actually went to the wrong field, as there was a north and south field, but a few minutes later I found the field, spotted Ryan, and asked him for an autograph. You could tell he was a bit embarrassed, and some of his team mates chuckled, but he was as nice as can be and kindly signed by card.

          On a side note, Upland has produced some descent major leaguers. Chad Cordero, Chad Moeller, Ricky Adams, and Sean Tracy are just a few guys to be born in Upland and play in the majors. In fact I actually know Moeller and Cordero on a more personal level since they typically hang out in the area. Also, Hall of Famer Rollie Fingers attended Upland High School, where I will be attending. I just personally thought it was cool. For those of you that want to find out more about Olson, check out his Perfect Game report which I put a link to. The kid is really good and has committed to San Diego State for next year. Hopefully he can make it big! Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment