Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Angels vs. Cubs Game 6/4/13


The Chicago Cubs came into town for the first time ever to face the Angels in a two game, inter-league series beginning Tuesday. Since the series was only two games long, I figured my best chance would be to graph the Cubs all day on Tuesday, so I headed down to Angel Stadium to hopefully add somenew autographs into my collection.

Nobody really knew what to expect from the Cubs. I had only graphed them one time prior in San Diego, however, just one game is a pretty small sample size. Luckily, everything went pretty well. While I was not able to get any big names like Castro, Rizzo, or Soriano, I was able to get some cards signed by Darwin Barney, Nate Schierholtz, Dale Sveum, Ryan Sweeney, Cody Ransom, and Dave DeJesus all pre-game.


I was also able to get my Cubs team ball, which I started in San Diego last year, signed by Carlos Mormol, Blake Parker, coach Dave McKay, and Edwin Jackson.


Batting practice was really tough. Not only were the Cubs stingy about signing, but I had to deal with 100's of Cubs fans who were surprisingly aggressive. I was shocked to see so much pushing and shoving over somebody random like Donier Navarro, and you could only imagine the madness when somebody bigger like Matt Garza signed. However, I did get a chance to talk to a lot of cool Cubs' fans, and I can understand their eagerness due to the fact that the Cubs are rarely in Southern California.

While the conditions were rough, I was able to get basically every Cub that signed. That included Jeff Samardzija, who was kind enough to sign my Cubs team ball and a ROMLB across the sweetspot.


That also included Julio Borbon, Scott Hairston, Matt Garza, Edwin Jackson, and David Bell, who all signed cards for me.


In the end it was a solid day of graphing. While all of the "big name" Cubs never picked up a pen, I was able to add plenty of new autographs to my collection, including one from a guy who I believe is going to be the future face of the Cubs' rotation. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your success, can't believe how many autographs you get in a day, you must have mad skills doin this. I was wondering if you would help me out. I have been looking for a book/ binder to put my cards in so I can get my cards signed without having to take them out of the plastic covers they are in. Do you know where I can buy one at?? Thanks and once again congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robert. It takes some work at first, but over time the graphs start coming easier. Anyways, I believe I know what you are looking for. You actually can't buy the books pre-made like you see the graphers carry around, you have to actually put it together yourself. You need to buy a hard-back sketch book and some photo corners (go to Michael's Craft Store and they'll show you where to get both), then go home and stick the corners on the paper to where a card can fit in them and stay without falling out. I typically like to use two corners per-card (one on the top-left and one on the bottom-right), however some grpahers like to use four corners per card. Just make sure to get a spare card and test it all out to make sure that the card fits and holds. It's about a $30 investment but it's worth it, especially if you get the 40% off coupon from the Michael's website. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, all of the info above can sound confusing at first. Hope that helped!

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot, I'll go look for it. Once again, congrats on your success out there. You take graphing to another level.

      Delete