Sunday, June 23, 2013

Angels vs. Mariners: 6/18 & 6/20


The Angels' A.L. West rivals, the Seattle Mariners, came into town for a four game series this past week. While the Mariners aren't stacked with overwhelming talent, I still decided to attend a pair of games in hope of getting Felix Hernandez and to pick up a couple of free SGA's, including the C.J. Wilson bobblehead as seen in the photograph above.

Game One (6/18/13):
The first game I attended was absolutely miserable. My intentions were to get up early and head to the Mariners' hotel, however, after a long night unpacking and sorting through my Mariner cards, I decided to get a couple extra hours of sleep and try to graph the Angels' parking lot instead. After three straight hours of watching car-after-car drive straight in, I ended up with a grand total of three signed cards.


I really don't know why I even try the Angels' side anymore. I guess it's because I see people walking back with Trout and Pujols signed baseballs, but from experience, it's an absolutely awful place to graph.

I was hoping that my luck would turn around as the gates opened and I hurried inside with my friend Kyle. We bot had the same goal for the day, to get Felix Hernandez, the former American League CY Young winner. I had only gotten Felix once before, but traded it away to my friend David last year, so I was obviously hoping to get another one to keep in my collection. Unfortunately, Felix never signed. He told both Kyle and another grapher named Joe, who was hanging with us as well, that he'd sign after he threw, however Felix never kept that promise, and he darted to the outfield without even looking our way.

Going after Felix basically took up all of batting practice for me, and I ended up missing out on a few Mariners' that signed over the dugout. I very nearly got shut out fort he entire duration of BP, but luckily I was able to get former major league pitcher Jamie Navarro to sign four cards.


As for post-game, the only player to sign for me was Oliver Perez, who signed one card.


If you still don't believe that it was miserable, consider this... in the twelve hours I was at the stadium, I only got eight cards signed, highlighted by J.B. Shuck. Now do you believe me? That's how things go sometimes. You win some and you lose some, but in the end, today was definitely a loss.

Game Two (6/20/13):
There was one reason, and one reason only that I attended this game, and that reason was to get this...


This bobblehead was the third and final one that the Angels' would be giving out this season, and must I admit, I am a big fan. In fact, I am a big fan of all three of the bobbleheads that have been given away this season. The past two or three years, the Angels' bobbleheads have all been the same, but this season, they all have their own unique touch added to them. In this case, it was the red glove and high leg-kick.


In case you were wondering, the ball next to the bobblehead in the photo above is a 2012 All-Star Game ball that I was able to get C.J. to sign last season. C.J. is always cool about signing, and as a result, I have gotten more items signed by him than any other Angel over the past season and a half. Sorry that I spent so much time on the bobblehead, but to be honest, it was probably the best thing I got all series.

Back to the autographs. It was another horrible day for graphing and yet another day where J.B. Shuck bailed me out. Shuck was kind enough to sign two more cards for me.


As you can see, I also got Scott Downs to sign a card for me. Scott is simply the best signer on the planet (maybe a little over-the-top, but you get my point). I don't think I've ever seen him deny an autograph request, and it is that reason why he has become one of my favorite players in the majors.

I then headed over to the Mariners' side in hopes of catching anybody that would be willing to sign. Thankfully, Joe Saunders got dropped off by his wife and signed for me and another grapher. I was able to get the former Angel on a beautiful 8x10 photograph from his days with the Arizona Diamondbacks.


That little scribble underneath his signature is suppose to say "2008 All-Star", however, Joe must of had a mental lapse or something, as he "28 Allstar" and then added in two little zeros. Looking back, I should of just had him sign it, but I'm still very happy with the way the signature came out.

That was it for the day and the series. I went inside, picked up my bobblehead, and pretty much just left. Felix Hernandez was scheduled to pitch, so I had absolutely no reason to stay. In the end it was a pretty terrible series, but I was at least able to get my C.J. Wilson bobblehead and add a former Angel into my collection. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment