Sunday, June 30, 2013

Carl Crawford Rehab Assignment with Rancho Cucamonga Quakes


Former All-Star outfielder Carl Crawford made an appearance with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes on Sunday as part of a rehab assignment with the Dodgers' single-A club. Carl has been one of my favorite players since his days with the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays, however I've only been able to get his autograph once before, when he side paneled my ROMLB during a preseason game. Long story short, that ball turned into my Dodgers team ball, which is now nearing completion, so in a way, I guess I can thank Carl for that. Anyways, I was still looking to get Carl on a couple more items, so I made the short trip to Rancho to hopefully catch him coming in.

Knowing that the crowd would be crazy inside, I decided to wait for Carl to walk in where I'd hopefully get his autograph. Also, it was 95 degrees as of 9:30 am, so I really wasn't in the mood to stand in a crowd of 200 sweaty men with temperatures over 105 degrees. After about an hour of waiting, Carl showed up and signed for the five or six graphers that were waiting for him. I was able to get Carl on a 2009 Rawlings All-Star ball, and he was kind enough to add the inscription "MVP" to it as well.


My mother was also able to get this beautiful 8x10 photograph of Carl signed for me.


Had I been able to choose, I probably would have rather gone with a Rays photo of him. Carl was one of the best players in the franchise's history, and in my opinion, he was on track to a Hall of Fame career until he basically "hit the wall" with Boston. However, this was the only photograph that they had for him at Frank and Sons, and must I admit, I am very happy with the way it turned out. A big thanks to Carl for signing and not making us wait too long in the dreaded heat. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment