Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Historic Day of Baseball: 7/14/13


I decided to head down to San Diego on Saturday night to catch game three between the San Francisco Giants and the San Diego Padres. Since the Angels were out of town and the All-Star break was looming, I figured this would be a good chance to get my baseball fix in. Unfortunately, today was terrible for autographs. In fact, one photo explains the majority of my day.


That is what I had through the first five hours of my day, and in case you can't read it, it is from former American League CY Young Award winner Barry Zito. Barry gave me his "short" signature, which really disappointed me since there was only five people. I've gotten his autograph a couple of times prior and both of those times I got a better autograph than the one I got today. None the less, I was happy to at least be on the board.

I also got a tip from my friend Rob that Dave Winfield would be in attendance for the second straight night. Rob was at the game the night prior and was able to get the HOF'er, which is surprising considering that Winfield is usually a very tough get. Anyways, as BP came to a close, I went straight to the tunnel where the VIP guests go. Dave was hesitant to stop at first but eventually he broke down and ended up signing. Unfortunately, Dave dropped my pen as I was about to ask for the sweetspot, so he ended up side paneling my ROMLB.


Since I knew none of the Giants would sign after they were done stretching, I decided to continue my way over to the Padres' side. I really didn't bring anything for the Padres to sign, mainly because I've gotten multiples by every single player on the team, so I decided to start a team ball and was able to get six total signatures in about twenty minutes.




Photo number one- Yonder Alonso and Will Venable
Photo number two- Jedd Gyroko, Chase Headley, and Dale Thayer
Photo number three- Alexi Amarista

While starting a Padres' team ball wasn't exactly one of my main plans, I figured it would be a good item to bring down to San Diego in my future trips this season. I'm guessing I can fill up this ball easily by the end of the season and in the end it should look very nice.

Now let's get to the game. This is what the scoreboard looked like through six innings.


If you take a look at the hit column, you'll see that the Padres were being no-hit. Usually I don't get over anxious when a guy has a no-hitter through five or through six innings, but I could tell that Tim Lincecum was in a groove. That groove continued into the ninth inning...

 

My only concern was how high his pitch count was. As you can see above, he was at 142 pitches with two outs in the ninth. I believe he entered the inning with 135 pitches and had to face the heart of the order (Headley-Quentin-Alonso). Luckily, Timmy did it. On his 148th pitch, he got Yonder Alonso to fly out to Gregor Blanco to complete the no-no.





I was absolutely thrilled. I've seen guys have a no-hitter through six, through seven, and even once through seven and two-thirds, but this was my first no-hitter that I've actually witnessed (Many people asked me "Weren't you at Jered Weaver's last year?". Obviously the answer to that is "no") The really cool thing about it was that it came on a day when graphing completely sucked for me, so it really made the trip more than worth it for me. Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. Man I hate to say this but that Barry zito was a �� signature, almost a waist of your nice ball, I would like to say though I enjoy reading your blog and seeing all your successes, you have a great collection of stuff!! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Like I said I've gotten a lot better Zito's before. He's still a former CY winner and I'll take it. Looking back though, I probably wouldn't of dropped it on him.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! I've always wanted to attend a no-hitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've always wanted to attend one live too. It was definitely a special moment. Go Goldschmidt!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on being able to watch a no-hitter in-person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our primary aim is to offer authentic athletes and collectibles to the community globally cheaply and offer a service to our customer which is second to none. I am very extremely pleased of the fact that from modest origins Memorabilia 4U is one of the top providers of authentic collectibles globally.
    autograph memorabilia | autographed football

    ReplyDelete