Monday, August 26, 2013

Fedorin Cup Hockey Game: 8/24/13


On Saturday, August 24th, The Rinks at Anaheim hosted the sixteenth annual Fedorin Cup charity hockey game supporting the Athletic Sports Fund of America. I had never attended any of the previous Fedorin Cup games before, but knew that autographs would be easy due to the accessibility at The Rinks. The only down side was the limited amount of information that was released by both the event staff and the Anaheim Ducks, so I practically showed up not knowing what or who to expect.

I arrived at The Rinks around 3:30, with the puck scheduled to drop at 4:15. I quickly grabbed some tickets, which were $20 as apposed to the $15 advertised online, and headed inside. I was able to find a spot down on the front row and had to keep a sharp eye out for any NHL players. The only people that were confirmed to play were Luca Sbisa, Sean Pronger, Todd Marchant, and George Parros, who ended up being a no show. There was also some rumors that Teemu Selanne would be playing in the game, but it was not mentioned on the event's website. 

Around 4:00 the players began to take the ice for warm-ups. I quickly noticed current Ducks Emerson Etem and Bryan Allen, as well as top prospect Hampus Lindholm. Finally, the "Finnish Flash" came out of the locker room and took the ice, which was a major sense of relief for me.

 
I didn't bother asking for any autographs during the game and/or between periods, as I figured that I'd get my chance at things post-game. I did, however, notice a few fans sneak down to ice level and get Etem, Selanne, and Sbisa just before the third period begun.

The game itself was a lot of fun to watch. There were a lot of minor-league hockey players, as well as a few cancer survivors who were picked to play in the game. It ended up being a scoring contest as the game was tied at thirteen until Selanne eventually won the game for team USA in the shootout. You could tell that all of the players were having a blast, which made it even more fun for the fans to watch.

Right after Selanne won it, I headed down to ice level where there was a small crowd waiting for autographs. The first player to sign was Hampus Lindholm, but unfortunately, I only had three pucks and was planning on saving them for Etem, Sbisa, and Selanne. Right after he finished up signing, Sbisa came over and took his place. Luca is always a great signer and ended up knocking out every single autograph request. I ended up getting him on an Anaheim Ducks game puck. 


As Sbisa was signing, Emerson Etem walked by and went straight into the locker room. He eventually came back out to sign a few jerseys for the charity to auction off, but to my surprise, he ignored everyone again. That was a major disappointment since he was one of my main goals for the day.

Last but not least, Teemu Selanne came over and began signing for fans. Teemu is simply the nicest guy you will ever meet. It's really amazing how much time he takes for his fans, especially since he is one of the game's all-time greats. Of course, a lot of fans came over once Teemu began signing, and Selanne signed for every one of them. Finally, I was able to get my new Ducks 20th Anniversary puck signed.


When I made it back up the stairs, I had time to take a few photographs of Selanne signing. Like I said, he knocked out every single person, probably at least 70 people. 


ONE MORE YEAR!!! ONE MORE YEAR!!!

Overall it was a great event put on by the ASFA and Anaheim Ducks, and much worth the $20. A big thanks to Teemu Selanne and Luca Sbisa for taking the time to sign. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Raphael Diaz was dealt twice that season. He began the 2013-14 plan with the Montreal Canadiens. In Feb, he was dealt to the Vancouver Canucks and then re-traded in March to the New York Rangers. Diaz also performed for Group Switzerland in the 2014 Cold temperatures Olympics.hockey autographs

    ReplyDelete