Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dodgers Holiday Mall Tour: 11/16/13


The Dodgers Holiday Mall Tour kicked off for the second straight year on Saturday afternoon, with former Dodgers' Steve Yeager and Maury Wills scheduled to sign at the Westfield Culver City mall. Last year, the Mall Tour was a "blessing" to So-Cal graphers, giving us a chance to graph baseball in the offseason, so I was looking forward to the first stop of this year's tour.

I decided against arriving to the signings early and instead showed up at the mall around noon. Yeager had already begun signing, but as expected he had blown through the small line and was sitting alone at the autograph table. Since there was no line, I decided to get my two 1985 Topps cards that I brought along.


While getting Yeager was a nice bonus, my main goal for the day was Maury Wills, who was scheduled to sign from 2-4. I had brought along three items for Maury to sign, and figured that I'd be able to get all three items signed easily, especially since he showed up about fifteen minutes early. However, since Wills was signing everything and taking photos, the line began to move at a snail's pace. After about 40 minutes of waiting, I was finally able to get up to Maury and handed him my 11x14 photo first to get signed.


When I asked Maury to put "586 Career Steals" he asked me if I'd like "104 Steals 1962" on it as well, which I of course said yes to.


I also got some help getting my Gold Glove baseball signed, which he inscribed "LA Dodgers" and "2x G.G. '61 '62". 


I decided to hop back in line to get my third and final item signed. Unfortunately, the second go-around took even longer than the first, and it took nearly an hour and a half just to get back up to Maury. Luckily, the wait was well worth it, as I got my Rawlings Big Stick bat signed with "NL MVP 62", "7x All-Star" and the famous saying "Go! Go! Go! Maury Go!".

 
Overall it was another great event, and I look forward to attending a few more of the Mall Tour events in the weeks ahead. A big shout-out to George, Willie, Larry, Scotty, Scott Sr., Amber, Daniel, Mike, and everybody else that helped make the time fly.

A quick side note- Dr. Alex Corbin Liu will be hosting yet another appearance at his Optometry Office, this time with Rock-n-Roll great Rudy Sarzo on November 23rd. Additional details are on the flyer below.


Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Everything looks great, but I LOVE that photo!

    ReplyDelete