Saturday, December 14, 2013

Tony Gwynn Signing: 12/14/13

 
MLB Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn made an appearance at El Cajon Ford this past Saturday. Unlike most of Gwynn's signings at his dealership, this one seemed to slip under the radar of the most graphers. Luckily, I was able to get some last second info and made my way down to El Cajon early Saturday morning.
 
After a long, two hour drive, I arrived at the dealership a few minutes past eight. Gwynn was scheduled to sign in under an hour, so I grabbed a spot in line about 30 people back and began the wait. The wait went by fast and Gwynn showed up right a nine and began signing immediately. I had heard a few people at the front of the line say that Gwynn wasn't looking to well, but nothing prepared me for what I saw when I actually got up to the legend. It was very apparent that Gwynn had suffered a stroke not long ago. His speech was completely blurred, he was wearing a neck brace, the entire right side of his face was completely paralyzed, and he was shaking uncontrollably. It was actually sad to see one of the game's greatest players be in such horrible health. Both my friend Kyle and I were stunned that he was even signing in the condition he was in, but somehow he got through the entire line signing two items per person. In total, I was able to get four items signed.
 
 
 
 
 
As you can see, some of the baseballs came out a bit shaky, but again, considering the condition Gwynn was in I was amazed that he even signed. Either way, I'm still very pleased with the results and will definitely keep Tony in my prayers. A big shout out to Kyle for making the wait go by fast. And as always, thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Huge fan of Gwynn. I can't believe I hadn't heard about his condition. That was very cool of him to come out and sign for his fans. His autographs still turned out better than 99% of the autographs current players sign.

    ReplyDelete