Saturday, April 5, 2014

Offseaon Pick-Ups

Over the past few months I've made a lot of improvements to my collection through trades and also the occasional purchase. My goal is to one day have a collection with only quality items, and I've come to the realization that to have a quality collection, sometimes you're going to have to give in and pay up. I made a small post in December recapping a few items that I had picked up, but since then I've made quite a few more transactions that would impress just about anyone.

Before I get into the pick-ups, I attended another Steve Sax signing at Dr. Alex Corbin Liu's office a while back. Sax was charging $20 per autograph, which I decided to pay up in order to finally get a full signature from Sax. I had Steve autograph a ROMLB with "82 NL ROY" inscribed.

Steve Sax autographed ROMLB
Next up are a pair of baseballs that I briefly mentioned in my 2013 Year In Review post. The first ball is signed by Hall of Fame member Paul Molitor. The reason why I picked up the ball was because Molitor wrote out his full name, "Paul Leo Molitor", which I hadn't seen before. The ball is also a PSA "gem mint" 10 to make things even better.

Paul Leo Molitor autographed ROMLB
The other item that I previously referenced is this 2012 All Star baseball signed by 2014 Hall of Fame inductee Tony LaRussa. The ball has one of the sickest inscriptions that I've ever seen, as it reads "Final Game MNG NL-8 AL-0" referencing the final score of the game.

Tony LaRussa autographed ROMLB
The next item I got came from a trade with my friend Nik from Facebook. I was able to get this Lance Berkman ROMLB with MLB Authentication off of his hands. I've been wanting a Berkman autograph for a while so this will definitely be a welcome addition to my collection.

Lance Berkman autographed ROMLB
These next items came from purchases either through Ebay or other sports memorabilia websites that I frequent. I'll start off with my second Paul Molitor baseball, this one inscribed "93 WS MVP" and ".418 WS BA"

another Paul Molitor ROMLB
Fromer National League MVP and an extremely tough autograph to get in person, Jimmy Rollins.

Jimmy Rollins autographed ROMLB
One of the best deals I got was this Ryan Braun autographed 2008 All Star baseball. I snatched this up with six seconds left and am very happy with the deal I got.


Ryan Braun autographed 2008 AS ball
Ryan Madson, which I picked up at the Angels Yard Sale for less than the price of a new ROMLB.

Ryan Madson autographed ROMLB
Alberto Callaspo, another ball I picked up for basically nothing.

Alberto Callaspo autographed ROMLB
By far one of the best items I picked up, a Harmon Killebrew autographed ROMLB with "573 HRs".

Harmon Killebrew autographed ROMLB
Yet another deceased legend, Ralph Kiner inscribed "HOF 75". I picked this ball up a few days after his passing and I'm thrilled with it. 

Ralph Kiner autographed ROMLB
I also sent out and got back my first ever TTM attempt from Pat Gillick. I had a 1992 World Series baseball left over from the regular season and decided to send it out to the guy who constructed the team. I can't remember how long it took but Mr. Gillick sent back the ball with "HOF 2011" as requested.

Pat Gillick autographed 1992 WS ball
Finally, I sent in to a signing on the east coast and got back this Orlando Cepeda autographed ROMLB with "HOF 99". Cepeda typically give out rough signatures in person so I was happy to get a clean, sit down signature for a great price.

Orlando Cepeda autographed ROMLB
Just like I began this post, I'm going to end it with an IP success that isn't really worthy of it's own post. I attended the Dodgers vs. Angels exhibition game at Angel Stadium last weekend and got Chone Figgins to autograph an ROMLB with "2002 WSC". Chone was even nice enough to add the number 9, which he wore during his playing days in Anaheim. As always, it's nice to add another member of the 2002 Angels to my PC.

Chone Figgins autographed ROMLB
That covers my pick-ups over the baseball offseason. Overall I'd call it a very successful offseason adding these beauties and some other items to my collection. I'm still keeping an eye out for good deals, so expect another recap similar to this one in the near future. As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment