Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Final Baseball Autos Of 2014

2014 was a very exciting and ultimately disappointing season for Angel fans. The Angels were able to finish with Major League Baseball's best record but ended up falling short in the postseason against the Kansas City Royals. I was fortunate enough to attend both games 1 and 2 of the series in Anaheim, and while the Angels lost both games in extra innings, I am glad to say that I was a part of Angels history.

Angel Stadium before ALDS game 1
After the Angels won the American League West title in mid-September, I made a vow not to obsess over autographs once the playoffs rolled around. This would be my first time at a MLB playoff game, and I wanted to take in the full experience without the stress of getting autographs. Luckily I was able to keep my vow and still manage to come away with some nice autos from both games. The first came from Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado, who happened to be at the game with his agent Scott Boras. That's the beauty behind playoff baseball, you never know who is going to show up.

Nolan Arenado autographed baseball
Apparently Arenado is becoming a tough autograph to get in Colorado, so I'm glad to get another signed ROMLB from him before he becomes too difficult. Unfortunately, I got some misinformation and ended up missing out on Cal Ripken Jr. while I was in the process of getting Arenado. A few years ago missing out on Ripken would've ruined my night, but luckily I've come to the realization that you can't have them all.

The other autograph I was able to get that night came from another semi-promising third baseman, Mike Moustakas. Moustakas hit the game winning home run in the 11th inning of game one, and since I had a hard copy of the ticket I decided to get him to sign it. Mike was in a great mood after the HR and even inscribed it "Game Winning Homerun".

Mike Moustakas autographed ALDS ticket
The third and final autograph I was able to get came from yet another promising third baseman, Cubs prospect Kris Bryant. Bryant was the #2 overall pick by the Cubs last year and has torn it up in the minors, so obviously all of the graphers were excited when he tweeted a photo saying he was at game 2 of the series. After waiting around for a while I was able to score Bryant on a ROMLB.

Kris Bryant autographed baseball
This was actually my third ball signed by Bryant, as I was able to get two back in February at the USD Alumni Game. If you click on the link to the left you can see the difference in Bryant's signature not even a year later. That's why a lot of graphers always use the saying "get them while they're young".

My final autograph of the 2014 season came a couple of days after the Angels were eliminated by the Royals. I decided to go down to the stadium at a last ditch effort to add a couple of last guys to my 2014 Angels team ball. Luckily I didn't go home empty handed as Huston Street came over and signed a couple of cards on his way out.

Huston Street autographed cards
I also got Street to sign my team baseball which now only needs three signatures to be complete. I'll likely have to wait until next season to finish it, but once I do I'll make sure to make a separate post showing it off a bit. I want to sincerely thank everyone who read my posts throughout the 2014 season, as well as all of the great people who I had the opportunity to graph with. I want to give a special thanks to Ryan, Kyle, Alex G, Rob G, Lori, David P, Mike, Benson, Matt Crocker, Eddie, Phil, and the legendary Scott Chavers for another great season at the stadium. I'll make sure to keep everyone updated with some hockey and football posts throughout the offseason, but until then, thank you again for reading!

1 comment: