Saturday, November 1, 2014

Don Newcombe: 11/1/14

On Saturday, November 1st, I had the honor of meeting former Brooklyn Dodger Don Newcombe. "Newk" played with Brooklyn from 1949 to 1958, and even won a World Series title in 1955 along side one of his friends, Jackie Robinson. He compiled 122 wins in 11 MLB seasons and was the only pitcher in baseball history to win the Rookie of the Year, Cy Young, and Most Valuable Player awards until Justin Verlander did so. I decided to pay for Newcombe's autograph after realizing that he was already 88 years old. I had passed on getting him a few times in past, but didn't want to make the same mistake that some people made with Tony Gwynn amongst other former players. With that being said, I decided to get Newcombe on a ROMLB with "1st Cy Young 1956".

Don Newcombe autographed baseball
I find it funny that even at 88 years old, Newcombe can still sign his name better than 95% of current athletes. Obviously he wasn't in the greatest condition, but he still talked to everyone that he signed for and even gave me a fist bump at the end which I thought was neat. I'll have another baseball post likely by next weekend, but until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment