Saturday, January 24, 2015

Cal State Fullerton Alumni Game: 1/24/15

On Saturday, January 24th, I attended Cal State Fullerton's annual baseball alumni game. There were actually two alumni games scheduled on Saturday, but I decided to go with Fullerton's game over UCLA's. I still don't know the reason why I chose Fullerton, but something made me change my mind at the last second since I had been planning on going to UCLA all week.

Once I got to Fullerton I was able to catch up with a friend of mine, Michael Lorenzen. Lorenzen was the first round pick of the Cincinnati Reds in 2013 and was a mid-season All-Star at Double-A Pensacola this past season. He has been extremely friendly since his college days and always goes out of his way to come over and say hello, even at Reds Spring Training last season. This time I brought some Reds cards along for him to sign and, as usual, he knocked out all six for me. He inscribed a bible verse on three of the six including my favorite verse on one.


By the way, I finally figured out the art of scanning cards. Ironically it took me just minutes to do something that I had been trying to figure out for years. It definitely will make posting cards a lot easier for me in the future.

I was also able to get some cards signed by Astros prospect J.D. Davis and big-leaguers Justin Turner and Reed Johnson.


The rest of the event was a bit of a dissapointment. I was hoping for Phil Nevin, Tim Wallach, or even Rickey Romero to show up, but none of them did. Kurt Suzuki was in Minnesota for Twins Fest, so he wasn't able to show up either. Luckily Royals rookie Christian Colon showed up to the game for the first time in a couple of years. I got Colon on a few cards last month but this time I came prepared with a 2014 Postseason baseball. Colon gave me a great signature and inscribed it "2014 Wild Card Winning Run!" for the run he scored off of Salvador Perez's walk-off hit to win the WC game for Kansas City.

Christian Colon autographed baseball
The ball came out great and it was nice seeing some friends and finally watching some baseball again. I'll likely attend UCLA's game next year, but then again I typically say that after every year, so I guess only time will tell. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment