Friday, April 3, 2015

Angels vs. Dodgers: 4/3/15

The Dodgers came in to town for their annual Freeway Series exhibition game against the Angels. In the past few years I've done poorly whenever graphing the Dodgers, however it was my first opportunity to get back to Angel Stadium and watch some baseball. 

As usual, the morning started off poorly thanks to Southern California traffic. I ended up missing out on a few good names including Joc Pederson and Don Mattingly who apparently signed on their way in. Luckily, I was still able to grab a few good graphs pre-game, including cards signed by Juan Nicasio, Joel Peralta, Yimi Garcia, David Aardsma, and a team card by Chris Hatcher, Paco Rodriguez, and Alex Guerrero.


My final autograph before the game came from Yasiel Puig. I'm not the biggest Puig fan in the world, but I was happy to see him come over and sign almost exactly where I was standing. I ended up getting my 2014 All-Star game baseball signed underneath the logo, my first Puig autograph since his A-ball days.


I was only able to get three autographs post game, but all three came from the two guys that I originally wanted going in to the day. The first came from top prospect Joc Pederson, who signed a ROMLB for me underneath the MLB logo. I asked him for the sweet spot several times but considered myself lucky just to come away with one of the few autographs that he signed.


Thankfully I was able to get a Pederson sweet spot at Dodger Fan Fest in January. I can already tell that Pederson will be a tough autograph to get in the future, so I'll likely hold on to both baseballs and the cards that I got signed when he was in A-ball.

My final autographs came from Dodger skipper Don Mattingly. I had been carrying around my authentic Yankees jersey of Mattingly for years, so it was quite a relief to finally get it signed. Unfortunately, I didn't have a ton of time to prep my paint pen so the beginning of the autograph came out a bit light.


As you can see, the jersey is photographed with the other three baseballs that I got signed. The one in the middle was my second Mattingly autograph courtesy of my friend Moe. The ball is an old American League baseball from the Gene Buding days, which means that it was made anywhere from 1992-1999, the tail end of Mattingly's career.


A shout out to Alex, Rob, Daniel, David, Mike, Phil and Moe as usual. I look forward to posting more baseball autos as the season rolls around. Thanks for reading!

1 comment: