Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Baseball Season in Review + A Couple of Recent Aditions

It's clearly a bit late for this, but with the Angels missing the playoffs and me now having very little hope in the Blue Jays, I figured that it was a fair enough time to recap the 2015 baseball season (autograph-wise, of course).

2015 was a very weird season for me. I made a vow at the beginning of the year to not take autographing very seriously. I wasn't going to get stressed out over it like some people including my former self. I definitely think that paying for autographs and getting more quality signatures away from the ballpark helped the cause. I also did not write about many of the autographs that I got at Angel Stadium this year, so many of these will look new to my readers. That, of course, is my fault, but I felt that the various signing recaps and the Tristar National Convention was enough to keep people briefly entertained. So without any further interruptions, here are some of my favorite in person autographs from 2015:

1. 2015 Topps Heritage


One of my main goals for 2015 was to get as many 2015 Topps Heritage cards signed as possible. I know that I'll likely never complete the 500 card set, but reaching the 100 card mark in one season has me optimistic. Regardless, it is a cheap way to stay entertained throughout the year, and I ended up getting some pretty darn good names including the future AL MVP, Josh Donaldson, and AL Cy Young, Dallas Keuchel (courtesy of my friend Ryan), winners.  

2. New Faces


By new faces, I mean guys that I haven't posted about this season, including one of my favorite broadcasters and Ford F. Frick Award winner Marty Brennaman. 


I guess that Alex Bregman could qualify as a new face in a few different ways, but I was able to get the future Astro on a ball with "2015 #2 Pick".


Jim Palmer is always a great signer when he comes to town. This year I was able to get "Cakes" on a ball with his Cy Young years inscribed.


Craig Kimbrel has always been known as one of the nicest guys in baseball. Unfortunately, that has changed a bit since his trade to San Diego, but he kept his word and signed for me and several others while in Anaheim.


Ironically, I headed to Angel Stadium with nothing for this guy to sign, but as I was going through an old bag I discovered a brand new ROMLB, which is practically the grapher's equivalent of gold. Apparently it was destiny since Sonny Gray started signing over the dugout and eventually called for me to throw down my ball. It may be personalized, but I am beyond happy to have this after his breakout year.

3. Angels Team Ball


Every season I attempt to start and complete an Angels team ball. Last year I came fairly close to completing it, only needing the big three (Weaver, Pujols, Trout). This year I was able to get Trout, and I could have had Weaver if he hadn't skipped over me several times, and had Weaver in fact signed it, I likely would've paid for Pujols to complete this years. So there is another thing that I can blame Jered Weaver and his 82 MPH fastball on. (PS- I am actually a big Jered Weaver fan despite how terrible he is to fans.)

The ball still looks nice and I'm sure I could eventually complete it if I tried. But I'll likely end up starting over next year in hopes that 2016 will be the year that the Angels win another World Series.

Recent Pick-Ups:

This does not relate at all to the baseball season or my IP autos from it, but there have been a few things that I've been able to get that I've yet to show off. The first being this Nancy Bea bobblehead. If you remember, I advertised this event for my good friend Marc. Unfortunately I had to miss the event, but Marc was kind enough to set one aside for me.

   
Next up I was able to add a couple of things signed by local-girl Alex Morgan to my collection. The first being a signed Sports Illustrated with "15 WC Champs".


The other being a pair of signed Nike cleats with the same inscription.


That about does it for my 2015 baseball recap. As always, a big thanks to everyone who I hung out with at the stadium throughout the summer. And again, thanks for reading.

1 comment: