Sunday, March 6, 2016

Willie Mays: 3/6/16

I'll get around to posting a full Spring Training recap, but this man deserves a post of his own. The "Say Hey Kid" Mr. Willie Mays...


Had someone told me that I'd get the opportunity to meet Willie Mays, I probably wouldn't have believed them. After all, he is 84, not in the greatest of health, and he's just one of those iconic figures that you could never even dream of meeting. But as we (a friend and myself) were on our way back to California, I found out about a special event and high-tailed it back to Phoenix. The event was far from free, but it was worth every penny.


For those that don't know, Mays can't physically sign in pen. He actually hasn't been able to for a few years now. His eye sight and grip is too bad to hold a pen, so he has to sign everything in Sharpie. I knew that going into the event, but I was surprised at how many people did not.

It was an amazing opportunity to meet Mr. Mays and a memory that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. Sure, I could go online and buy an autographed baseball, but that doesn't even compare to meeting him, shaking his hand, and getting a photograph with him. Again, I'll have a full Spring Training recap soon. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. very nice, was this at don and charlies steakhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what untold stories Willie hasn't shared. He was probably the best all-around baseball player of the last 75 years. If he'd had played anywhere but Candlestick, he could have hit 800 home runs in his career. He played at a different level, at a time when men were men.

    ReplyDelete